Looking for a great low fat, low sugar dog treat? Try making your dog carrot and hummus cookies, safety guaranteed by Dr Carol. Recipe: courtesy of Ana and her diabetic dog Xena.
Carrot and Hummus Cookies
- 16 oz chick peas
- 1 lb beef liver steaks
- 1 bag Carrots organic
- 4 cups water distilled or filtered
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra virgin
- Place 4 cups of filtered water and the 16 ounces of chickpeas to soak for 24 hours in a large cup or bowl. Soaking allows the chick peas to absorb water which hydrates them so that they become soft, which results in a delightful creamy hummus.
- Sear the 1 pound beef liver steaks with 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a sauté pan. Sear both sides until fully cooked.
- Drain the water from the 16 ounces of chickpeas that soaked overnight and discard the water.
- Ideally using your food processor, pulse mix the chickpeas until they look creamy. There is no need to add additional water
- There you have it! The raw hydrated chickpeas have been transformed into HUMMUS! Pour the hummus into a zip lock bowl that has a tightly sealed lid.
- Notice the creamy texture.
- Place the seared and cooked beef liver into the Cuisinart- Pulse until creamed liver pate’
- This is Beef Liver Pate’
- Mix the liver pate’ and hummus in the same zip lock bowl.
- Slice your carrot slices as thin as possible.
- Arrange your carrot slices and dab the 50-50 mixture of creamed hummus and liver pate’ as the carrot cookie filling.
- Xena is deciding which live hummus cookie treat to eat