Healthy Remedies geared to support Canine Heart Health & Cardiac Function in Dogs:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids (EPA/DHA found in Fish oil, Flaxseed oil)
- Quality Omega-3 Products contain around 850 MG of EPA, and 200 DHA. Can be given once or twice daily depending on the dog.
- Hemp seed oil is NOT digestible for dogs.
- Coenzyme Q10
- Antioxidant Vitamins: A, C, E
- B-Vitamin Complex
Dr. Carol’s Tip: Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid, taken daily have been shown to reduce the risk of stroke by 27% in people.
- Herbs containing Berberine: Coptis, Goldenseal, Oregon Grape
- Broad Spectrum Enzymes: pineapple, papaya, alfalfa and bromelain
- Low Sodium Healthy Heart Organic Dog Diets with plenty of fresh vegetables
TIP: Dr Carol’s Canine Heart Essentials: a comprehensive blend of organic herbs and nutrients geared to optimize canine heart health in dogs:
Heart Healthy Low Sodium Canine Diets for Dogs
- Low Sodium Diets are available through veterinary prescription diets. Yes, low sodium diets are better for dog heart health. Canine daily sodium level 200mg
- Portion Control is essential, that means NO free feeding. Dogs like people should have small multiple meals, essentially eating 6 times a day. For many that is impossible so at least 2-3 meals a day.
- Low-fat meats are essential, no red meat!
Ideal Home Cooked Low Sodium Heart Healthy Canine Diet:
- 1/3 Protein (Fish: salmon, halibut, cod, tilapia; Turkey, Chicken, Eggs),
- 1/3 Fresh Vegetables (Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, Asparagus, Green Beans, Kale)
- 1/3 Carbohydrates (brown rice, barley, buckwheat (kasha), whole-grain pasta)
- or if your canine is pudgy and needs to lose a few pounds, cut the carbs and go 50/50: Protein/Veggies
Dr. Carol’s TIP: Keep it simple: choose 1 nutrient from each food group, cook, mix together and feed.
Water: available 24/7: Distilled or Reverse Osmosis