Doping Dogs. Most of us are familiar with marijuana, and its medicinal properties. Benefits touted include helping cancer patients cope with daily life, appetite enhancement and pain relief. The number of states in which marijuana may be legally obtained is increasing and legislation is pending to legalize this plant in many more states across the country. In states like Colorado, where the weed has been legal for over 12 years, a new study found that one unintended side effect of legalized pot is the number of pets getting sick from accidental ingestion. According to one Colorado veterinarian, the number of cases of marijuana poisoning in animals has quadrupled over the last five years and vets treating these doped dogs is becoming quite common as a result.
Unfortunately, ingesting this plant can cause pets to become quite sick. Many dogs become lethargic, lose their balance and wobble on all four legs. In severe cases after eating the weed, dogs may begin to stagger and vomit, go into a coma and some occasionally die.
How are dogs getting ahold of the plant?
Primarily through pet owner negligence. Dogs tend to eat their owners baked goods which are made with medical grade marijuana butter and sold at licensed dispensaries.
Although pets could become sickened by smoke inhalation, the primary problem is ingesting the butter as its content of THC is condensed; consequently it’s higher and potentially more toxic.
- So, What’s the Solution?
- Use common sense and treat your pot like any other drug. With respect to pets, keep your marijuana in a safe, secure location far away from your pet’s paws.
- If you suspect your pet may have become sickened by the plant remember honesty is always the best policy, especially when your pet’s health is at risk.
- Come clean with the veterinarian. Tell the truth so your dog can receive proper treatment.