. carolPet Seizures: Holistic Solutions for Dogs & Cats with Epilepsy
Convulsions or seizures are defined as sudden, uncontrolled bursts of abnormal activity that last from one to three minutes. Signs may include anything from a slight twitch to salivating and foaming at the mouth. Shaking, jerking, stiffening of the legs or entire body as well as loss of urine and/or bowels may also occur. Epilepsy is the medical term used for dogs that suffer from seizures.
Certain dog breeds seem to be predisposed such as Golden Retrievers and Poodles, as well as male Siamese cats. Others pet breeds develop Epilepsy as a result of various diseases like Diabetes. In most cases, the cause is not known. Vets call this Idiopathic Epilepsy.
* Unknown (Idiopathic Epilepsy):the most common cause of seizures and epilepsy is unknown
* Low blood sugar (for example Diabetes)
* Poison (for example, antifreeze).* Kidney failure
* Liver failure
* Hereditary predisposition – Golden Retrievers, Poodles and male Siamese Cats.
*Tainted Pet Food and Treats: such as chicken jerkey strips and certain recalled pet foods
WHAT YOU CAN DO
* Dogs that have had a seizure may appear dazed or might look fine once the episode is over. Don’t move a dog during the episode, leave him alone until it is over. Then put him in a calm quiet, dark room and call your vet.
* Rub one to two teaspoons of karo syrup or honey onto his gums. This raises his blood sugar instantly and may provide relief if low blood sugar or Diabetes is the cause.
WHAT YOUR VET CAN DO
* Your vet will examine your dog and take blood and urine tests to try to determine the underlying cause. Specific recommendations will be made accordingly.
* Silicea 30c (Silicon dioxide) three pellets crushed to powder or two whole pellets under the tongue.
* Bach’s 5 Flower Rescue Remedyand is soothing for dogs cats that are scared or disoriented. Two drops in the mouth or on the tongue every 15 minutes for three doses while on the way to the vet.
* Acupuncture is useful to control seizures in certain cases.