Feline Litter Box Problems are one of the toughest problem Cat Owner’s Face! Preventing cat behavioral mistakes before they become bad habits is ideal. Here are my top 10 tips to help cat owners keep their cats using the litter box and avoid feline litter box problems
- First buy a cat litter box that fits your feline’s size and shape. Place your cats litter box in a semi private area accessible to you and your cat and keep it clean.
- The texture of cat litter is important. Most cats like the new fine granular clumping, soft unscented varieties of litter.
- A cat litter depth of ½ to ¾ inches is best. A lot of cats won’t use kitty litter that’s too deep.
- Cat arthritis is a common cause of cats not using their litter box and this is quite common in older cats. Older arthritic cats have trouble climbing up into their litter box especially if the sides of the litter box are too high or if cats have to go up and down stairs to get to their litter box.
- Many cats, especially shy felines, prefer privacy but don’t like to feel “trapped”. Some cats like covers, others may object to the darkness.
- Your cat’s litter box should be placed in a somewhat private area easily accessible to you and your cat. Avoid cold, dark drafty basements.
- Use one cat litter box per feline per floor of your home.
- Keep your cat’s litter box clean. Your cats litter box should not smell. New automatic cat litter boxes clean litter 10 minutes after each use.
- Cat Litter Box Liners are available and help with cleanliness. Cats may or may not tolerate litter box liners.
© Dr. Carol’s 10th Tip for Feline Litter Box Accidents:
- If your cat still eliminates in the wrong area after trying the above litter box suggestions and relocating the litter box, try obnoxious stimuli. Feline obnoxious stimuli are strong odors like Oil of Wintergreen or Menthol.
- Cats hate the smell. Spray obnoxious feline stimuli in the area where your cat is eliminating inappropriately which helps to make the area less desirable to your cat. After this your cat might decide to actually use their litter box.
- Be sure not to spray the obnoxious stimuli too close to your cats litter box.