Beef & Veggie Lasagna. You can prepare a homemade diet for your pet as easily as for your family. These pet recipes will help keep your family’s furry, best 4-legged companions happy and healthy. Here are a few of my personal pet tried-and-true kitchen creations offering dogs and cats five-star, lip smacking-good nourishment. They’ll thank you for years to come and be barkin’ and purrin’ for more.
Beef & Veggie Lasagna
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground round beef
- 5 cups tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp Italian parsley chopped, fresh
- 3 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup spinach chopped cooked, drained
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 tbsp oregano dried
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1 pinch black pepper ground, to taste
- 8 whole lasagna noodles cooked until not quite tender
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the beef, crumbling it into the skillet. Cook; stir occasionally, until it is browned. Drain, and set aside.
- Place the tomato sauce in a sauce pan. Add the beef and 2 tbsp parsley, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, spinach, parmesan, oregano, nutmeg, pepper and remaining 2 tbsp of parsley; stir well.
- Place 2 cups of the tomato sauce mixture in the bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Spread half of the ricotta mixture over the lasagna and sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers of sauce, noodles, ricotta and mozzarella.
- Top with the remaining 2 cups of sauce and 1 cup mozzarella, sprinkled evenly over last layer.
- Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil, place it on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and allow it to stand 10 to 15 minutes or until it reaches room temperature before serving.