Sportmix Pet food and Midwestern Pet Food, both made in Oklahoma have been recalled by the FDA. Deadly levels of Aflatoxins have been found in the corn contained in these pet foods. Aflatoxin is a toxin produced by the mold Aspergillus flavus. It it toxic to the liver of dogs and cats.
As of January 11, 2021 more than 70 dogs have died of liver failure and over 80 more are suffering with Canine Hepatitis.
Signs of pet liver disease in dogs and cats may include appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and in advanced cases a yellow discoloration to canine eyes, gums and skin occurs.
if your dog or cat has eaten any of these Sportsmix pet foods and/or is exhibiting any of the above signs of liver failure, call your veterinarian immediately.
The following Sportsmix pet foods have been recalled by the FDA. Pet owners should feeding the toxic pet food immediately and either discard it or contact the manufacturer.
All Sportsmix pet food products containing corn that were made at the Midwestern Pet Foods Oklahoma plant and that expire on or before July 9, 2022. More than 1000 lot codes are affected. Toxic Sportsmix Pet Food List:
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 50 lb. bagExp 03/02/22/05/L2Exp 03/02/22/05/L3Exp 03/03/22/05/L2
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 44 lb. bagExp 03/02/22/05/L3
- Sportmix Premium High Energy, 50 lb. bagExp 03/03/22/05/L3
- Sportmix Premium High Energy, 44 lb. bagExp 03/03/22/05/L3
- Sportmix Original Cat, 31 lb. bag Exp 03/03/22/05/L3
- Sportmix Original Cat, 15 lb. bagExp 03/03/22/05/L2Exp 03/03/22/05/L3
The following pet food products have been recalled if the date/lot code includes an expiration date on or before “07/09/22” and includes “05” in the date/lot code:
- Pro Pac Adult Mini Chunk, 40 lb. bag
- Pro Pac Performance Puppy, 40 lb. bag
- Splash Fat Cat 32%, 50 lb. bag
- Nunn Better Maintenance, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Original Cat, 15 lb. bag
- Sportmix Original Cat, 31 lb. bag
- Sportmix Maintenance, 44 lb. bag
- Sportmix Maintenance, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix High Protein, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 44 lb. bag
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Stamina, 44 lb. bag
- Sportmix Stamina, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Bite Size, 40 lb. bag
- Sportmix Bite Size, 44 lb. bag
- Sportmix High Energy, 44 lb. bag
- Sportmix High Energy, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Premium Puppy, 16.5 lb. bag
- Sportmix Premium Puppy, 33 lb. bag
From the FDA: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, in cooperation with the state departments of agriculture for Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas, and Washington, is investigating certain Sportmix pet food products manufactured by Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. that may contain potentially fatal levels of aflatoxins.
On January 11, 2021, Midwestern Pet Foods expanded the pet food recall to include additional pet foods that contain corn and were made in their Oklahoma manufacturing plant.
Link to FDA recall notice
Dr. Carol Osborne is an author and world-renowned integrative veterinarian of twenty plus years. After graduating from the Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine, Dr. Carol completed a prestigious internship at the Columbus Zoo. Shortly afterward, she launched a very successful private practice and became the founder and director of the non-profit organization, the American Pet Institute. Dr. Carol offers traditional veterinary care for dogs and cats with a softer, natural touch. Her approach highlights the importance of nutrition and utilizing holistic avenues in combination with traditional treatments. Currently, she offers holistic therapies and traditional veterinary medical care for dogs and cats at the Chagrin Falls Pet Clinic in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Call our Office Today at (866) 372-2765 or complete this Form to Email our Office.