Although many pet owners understand that feeding nutritious home-cooked meals and supplementing with high quality vitamins is the healthiest way to go, there are days when you simply don’t have the time or energy to cook for even yourself. This great recipe shared by a friend makes plenty of servings for even large dogs so that it is simple to freeze and defrost individual portions on those busy days when time is a factor.
Shredded Pork with Black Rice
¼ cup olive oil
2 3lb organic pork butt boneless roasts
4 cups filtered water
16 oz black rice
raw broccoli florets or other vegetables
1. Pour olive oil into the Dutch oven pot and heat over medium-high flame.
2. Sear the pork on both sides and the ends to release the flavor.
3. Add filtered water.
4. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place inside a pre-heated 350 degree oven for four hours.
5. Shred the pork using two forks. Add rice into the pot with the shredded pork and water, cover, and return the pot to the oven for 50 additional minutes.
6. Allow the pork and rice to cool and portion up individual servings into freezer-safe containers. When feeding, add broccoli or other vegetables to complete the meal.
For more great recipes to feed your pets, see these blog posts:
Healthy and Filling Pet Breakfast Recipes
Puppy Pasta! Lasagna Recipe for Dogs
Salmon Pate Is Purrfect for Cats
Dogs Like Salmon, Too! Salmon Recipe for Dogs
More Homemade Pet Meals