Homemade Pet Meals. As we wrap up our week-long series on delicious homemade pet recipes, these last two are known as favorites among those with padded paws! Don’t forget that pet obesity is a real problem, so feed according to portion sizes and only feed twice a day unless there are additional circumstances which your vet directs otherwise. Just as pet owners sometimes enjoy a night on the town and a fancy meal, these nutritious recipes for pets can make your four-legged friend feel special and treated as well.
Creamy Chicken Delight (for Cats)
5 ounces baked chicken breast
2 tbsp creamed corn
2 tsp finely grated zucchini
Mix all ingredients together. Add ¼ tsp extra virgin olive oil to enhance the taste and aroma. You can consider seasoning with low-sodium tamari sauce, as well. (Many cats LOVE tamari sauce!)
Sesame Chicken & Asparagus Pasta (for Dogs)
8 ounces linguine
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
6 tbsp chunky peanut butter
¼ cup soy sauce
6 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp hot chili oil
2 boneless, skinned and cooked chicken breast halves
5 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed
1 small cucumber, halved, seeded and diced into ¼-inch pieces
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the linguine, cook at a rolling boil until just tender. Drain, rinse under cold water, drain again and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
2. Place the garlic, vinegar, brown sugar, peanut butter and soy sauce in a food processor. Process for 1 minute. With the motor running, slowly add the sesame and hot chili oils through the feed tube and process until well-blended.
3. Shred the chicken into 2-inch julienne strips, and then toss with the linguine. Add the sauce plus 4 tbsp of the sesame seeds and toss to coat well.
4. Cut the asparagus on the diagonal into 1-inch lengths. Blanch in a sauce pan of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain, rinse under cold water and pat dry.
5. Place the linguine and chicken in a large, flat serving bowl and arrange the asparagus on top. Sprinkle with cucumber and remaining 1 tbsp sesame seeds.
6. Serve at room temperature.