A German Shepherd is a loyal pet that loves spending time with its family. In fact, she’s one of the best family pets you could ask for. When it comes to being a great pet, there are plenty of reasons why German Shepherds are so popular. Keep reading to learn more about this friendly breed and what makes them such an ideal pet for families.
Are you considering adding a German shepherd to your family? These intelligent, loyal, and protective dogs make great companions for people of all ages and make excellent additions to a variety of households. If you’re considering owning a German shepherd, here are a few things you should know:
- German shepherds require training and socialization. These intelligent dogs are highly trainable and excel in a variety of roles, including service work, search and rescue, and law enforcement. However, they also have a strong prey drive and can be territorial, so it’s important to properly train and socialize your German shepherd to ensure they are well-behaved and well-adjusted.
- German shepherds need plenty of exercise. These energetic dogs require daily physical and mental stimulation to stay happy and healthy. Make sure to provide your German shepherd with plenty of opportunities for exercise, such as walks, runs, and interactive games.
- German shepherds are prone to certain health issues. Like all breeds, German shepherds are prone to certain health problems, such as hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and degenerative myelopathy. It’s important to choose a reputable breeder and to keep up with regular check-ups and preventive care to help ensure the health of your German shepherd.
- German shepherds are a commitment. Owning a German shepherd requires time, patience, and dedication. These dogs are intelligent and need plenty of training and socialization to reach their full potential. They also require a significant amount of exercise and can be demanding in terms of time and attention. Make sure you are prepared for the commitment of owning a German shepherd before bringing one into your home.
How much does a German Shepherd cost?
The cost of a German shepherd can vary depending on a number of factors, such as where you live, the breeder or source you purchase from, and the age and pedigree of the German shepherd. On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $500 to $1,500 for a German shepherd puppy from a reputable breeder. Keep in mind that this is just the initial cost of purchasing the German shepherd and does not include ongoing expenses such as food, veterinary care, and supplies.
If you are interested in adopting a German shepherd, the cost will likely be lower. Adoption fees at shelters and rescue organizations can range from $100 to $500, depending on the organization and the specific needs of the German shepherd. Adopting a German shepherd can be a more affordable option, and you’ll also be giving a deserving dog a second chance at a happy home.
Regardless of where you get your German shepherd, it’s important to be prepared for the ongoing expenses of owning a dog. These costs can include things like food, veterinary care, grooming, and supplies. It’s a good idea to budget for these expenses and make sure you are financially prepared for the commitment of owning a dog.
Things you’ll need to take care of your German Shepherd
There are several things you’ll need to take care of your German shepherd and ensure they are happy and healthy. Here are some essential items to consider:
- Food and water dishes: German shepherds need a proper diet to stay healthy, so make sure to invest in high-quality food and clean, fresh water.
- Collar and leash: A collar and leash are essential for taking your German shepherd on walks and ensuring they stay safe. Choose a sturdy, comfortable collar and leash that fits your German shepherd well.
- ID tags: It’s important to have your German shepherd microchipped and to have an ID tag with your contact information on their collar. This will help ensure that your German shepherd can be returned to you if they ever get lost.
- Crate: A crate can be a useful tool for training your German shepherd and giving them a safe, secure place to sleep and rest. Choose a crate that is the right size for your German shepherd and make sure it is comfortable and secure.
- Bedding: German shepherds need a comfortable place to sleep, so make sure to provide them with a cozy bed or blanket.
- Toys: German shepherds are intelligent and need plenty of mental and physical stimulation, so it’s important to provide them with toys to play with. This can include chew toys, balls, and interactive toys.
- Grooming supplies: German shepherds have a medium to long coat that requires regular grooming to keep it healthy and looking its best. You’ll need supplies such as a brush, comb, and shampoo to keep your German shepherd’s coat clean and well-maintained.
- Veterinary care: Regular check-ups and preventive care are essential for the health and well-being of your German shepherd. Make sure to find a reputable veterinarian and budget for routine and emergency care.
By providing your German shepherd with the necessary care and supplies, you can ensure that they are happy and healthy for years to come.
Overall, German shepherds are intelligent, loyal, and protective dogs that make great companions for people of all ages. If you’re prepared for the commitment and ready to provide the necessary care and training, a German shepherd may be the perfect addition to your family.
Dr. Carol Osborne is an author and world-renowned integrative veterinarian of twenty-plus years. After graduating from the Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine, Dr. Carol completed a prestigious internship at the Columbus Zoo. Shortly afterward, she launched a very successful private practice and became the founder and director of the non-profit organization, the American Pet Institute.
Dr. Carol offers traditional veterinary care for dogs and cats with a softer, natural touch. Her approach highlights the importance of nutrition and utilizing holistic avenues in combination with traditional treatments. Currently, she offers holistic therapies and traditional veterinary medical care for dogs and cats at the Chagrin Falls Pet Clinic in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Call our Office Today at (855) 372-2765 or complete this Form to Email our Office.