Dog kennels used to be the only option years ago when work and/or pleasure necessitated a trip out of town. Today, Pet Sitters have become the latest rage. Pet Sitters offer dog and cat owners and a convenient, cost effective alternative to kenneling your pets.
Why pay for your beloved canine to sit in a cage for days or weeks at a time when for a similar fee your pet can remain in the comfort of his or her home or enjoy a few days at someone else’s? Pet sitters are wonderful alternatives to boarding your 4 legged friends.
Benefits of Pet Sitters
- No worries about catching “Kennel Cough”- In the privacy of your pet sitters home the risk of your dog catching communicable diseases like a kennel cough are often eliminated. Be sure to confirm whether or not your pet sitter will have any pets in their home other than yours.
- No worries about Vaccinating your Senior Aged Pet- While vaccines are recommended for certain pets, they are not advisable for others. For example, many elderly pets and those suffering from chronic diseases including liver, kidney and pancreatic disorders as well as cancer, diabetes and Cushing’s disease. Leaving your pet at home with a qualified pet sitter eliminates the need for “routine shots” required at most boarding facilities.
- Dogs who Require Hospice Type Care or have Specific Health Needs- Leaving your pet with an experienced pet sitter (Vet-Techs Who Pet Sit are the best for these dogs) allows owners to travel and enjoy peace of mind. Vet Techs usually have relationships with the veterinarian should your pet fall ill while you’re away. Also, vet-techs are trained to give pets their meds. They won’t struggle to give your dog or cat their needed medications, and you won’t have to worry that your pet missed his meds.
- Dogs who are aggressive or Don’t Mesh well with Other Dogs- Pet sitters are also great for dogs who just don’t like other dogs. No need to keep your “feisty” canine in isolation at a boarding kennel, when he or she can enjoy the freedom of their normal daily life while you’re away.
- Pet Sitters are Ideal for Multiple Pet Homes- For those pet enthusiasts with multiple pets in their home, pet sitters are a steal. Usually charging the same fee or adding on a minimal upcharge for additional pets, in most cases it’s a bargain.
As a practicing veterinarian whose daughter is not only a vet tech but also a pet sitter, a good, reliable pet sitter can be a blessing. Be sure to do your homework, ask for credentials as well as references. Many pet sitters are also licensed [as vet techs] and bonded.